[gnucash-de] New language file de_CH.po

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
So Feb 10 16:00:24 EST 2008

Hi Raffael,

Am Montag, 4. Februar 2008 19:35 schrieb Raffael Luthiger:
> > However, I know that de.po will be actively maintained for a long time to
> > come (by myself), but what are your plans with de_CH?
>
> I was looking at "de_CH" as an adaption of "de" to the Swiss market.
> Those two files should be as much as possible similar. But I have seen
> now several accounting related words which we do not use here in
> Switzerland. I just started to use the program but I will use it on a
> regular basis now and I will probably stumble over many other words. And
> I would be willing to contribute them in the future too.

sounds good to me. Thanks for the clarification.

> > Also, looking through your changes I found some changes which probably
> > should be integrated into de.po as well,
>
> This is possible. I don't know where exactly we use other words and
> where the "de" language file is just not fully correct either. I think
> in general it would make more sense if only one person would maintain
> both files. And I would just report what I would change. The other
> person (in this case probably you) can then decide to change it in both
> files or only in de_CH.

If you are planning to maintain de_CH for some time to come, I'd happily
accept all updated de_CH.po files and commit them to SVN. Also, if you have
any wording proposals (such as the "Buchen nach (Soll)" and Haben) that might
make sense for de.po, don't hesitate to tell those and I will most probably
include them into de.po rather quickly.

> > Oh, now that I've run "msguniq" on your file, I can see that besides the
> > above change, you did only one other wording change (in several strings),
> > which is "Gewinn-/Verlustrechnung" into "Erfolgsrechnung". Are you really
> > sure this single word change justifies a separate de_CH.po, including all
> > of its maintainership questions? If you want to commit on maintaining
> > de_CH for the time to come, I'm all in.
>
> Actually I have more words I want to change. But I didn't know how
> active this project here is (I am new on the devel-list) so I decided to
> just contribute first a small batch of changes.

This is fine and we invite you to submit even more changes. It would be good
if you could summarize your changes in the email text of your submission,
like so:

  Updated de_CH.po translation. Word changes from de.po are:
  "Gewinn-/Verlustrechnung" -> "Erfolgsrechnung"

Also, if you need some help to write a perl script for automating this single
word replacements, just ask for this, as I'm sure Nathan or someone else can
easily point you to a nicely working automated way for the word replacements.
(Of course they will have to be hand-checked as well.)

As you have probably read, the release 2.2.4 is planned for March 1st. Hence,
if you submit a de_CH.po until, say, Feb 27, you can be sure it will be
included in the next release.

We are happily looking forward to any contributions from you!

Christian