GnuCash/gChartman interoperability

christian.glodt@ist.lu christian.glodt@ist.lu
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 18:28:03 GMT

Hello,

I am the author of a technical stock analysis program called `gChartman',
and I think it might be interesting to discuss wether some kind of
gnucash/gchartman interoperability would make sense.
The pogram is hosted at http://gchartman.sourceforge.net.

First I'd like to give everyone a quick overview over my program:

Overview
--------

gChartman's main purpose is to display stock charts and to apply technical
analysis tools to them. It uses a MySQL database as backend to store stock
quotes. Currently, stock quotes can only be fetched from videotext pages
which are captured using alevt-cap (from the AleVT program distribution).
Ofcourse you need a bttv-compatible tv tuner card for this to work.
Indicators are implemented as modules and the following are provided
(more are planned):
- Moving Average
- RSI (Relative Strength Index)
- Momentum
- Buy/Sell (displays orders on the chart)
- Trendline (user positionable)
- Comment (displayed on the chart)
Take a look at the screenshots on gChartman's site to see these in action.

Once a configuration of different indicators has been created, it can be
saved either as a `local' or a `global' configuration. Local configurations
are managed per-stock, and global configurations are available for every
stock.

Development
-----------

Currently I am working on making chart modules stackable (à la Moving Average
of RSI of stock) and on putting configuration data into xml files instead of
putting it into the database. I am late with the next release, but I think
I will have it ready for this weekend. Planned is also a modularization
of data sources and a heap of other stuff.

I have to admit that I'm currently not using gnucash. But I think some
kind of interoperability might be interesting. I'm thinking along the
lines of quote exchange, or being able to view a chart in gChartman from
gnucash's stock register. I am open to any ideas.

Please keep in mind that gChartman is still pretty much alpha quality
software. There are a lot of ideas, but there's not much time to implement
them.

I'm looking forward to hear your ideas and opinions. I'm not on this mailing
list, please CC me in your replies.

Thanks,

Christian Glodt

cglodt@users.sourceforge.net