Schema

David Merrill dmerrill@lupercalia.net
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:40:07 -0500

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 07:35:09PM -0600, Rob Browning wrote:
> David Merrill <dmerrill@lupercalia.net> writes:
>
> > It really *is* just a rational number expressed as integer numerator
> > over integer denominator.
>
> Right.  The fact that we'll probably have to represent it with two
> columns in a database is just an artifact of the fact that SQL doesn't
> have RATIONAL_64 as a type. :>

I'm very intrigued by PostreSQL's alleged support for user defined
data types. I am usually leery of using the latest and greatest
features of any package, and even more leery of using nonportable
features. But for a single job like this, it might be a way to go. But
I have know a lot more about them before I'll trust my (and your) data
to them.

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill@lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

Anarchy may not be a better form of government, but it's better than no
government at all.