Thoughts about the stock quote database

Rob Browning rlb@cs.utexas.edu
17 Dec 2000 21:29:38 -0600

grib@gnumatic.com (Bill Gribble) writes:

> Accounts have pointers to gnc_commodities, not just names.  If the
> problem is picking the right stock for the account, there are plenty
> of UI ways to make sure you get the right one.

Isn't there still a problem on file load?  The file only stores the
namespace/mnemonic pair ATM.

> Your second question: what do we do about stocks that change names
> and/or ticker symbols?  This is an issue we haven't really
> addressed.

If we could associate some unique id with a given commodity, we could
use that across other changes, but which ones?  This is getting messy.
I defintely don't know enough right now to know what the "constants"
here are.  Company name changes are obviously ephemeral, but, thinking
about it, it seems like ticker symbols, and perhaps even exchanges
could be too...