client-server

David Merrill dmerrill@lupercalia.net
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:06:27 -0500

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 04:45:07PM -0600, linas@linas.org wrote:
> It's been rumoured that David Merrill said:
> >
> > Does this mean you are envisioning a server which can handle more than
> > one set of accounts and more than one set of transactions?
>
> Yes. Since its 'just' a set of cgi-bins,  then there's a variety
> of easy ways of having leak-proof separation between different sets
> of accounts.  Could be e.g. different URL's.  Could be based on the
> user login. Could be based on 'virtual home', so e.g. you could have
> private-label/OEM branded web sites with diffferent look & feel
> of course different data, all being served with same server.
>
> There are even more tricks, won't bore you ... depends mostly on
> patience, competency and paranoia level of sysadmin.

I am familiar with many of those "tricks", although I look forward to
learning some more from you. I work for an asp that does medical
billing. So, we have patient records as well as clinical information
and billing information for many different companies, often
competitors, all in the same database.

>From *my* perspective (me, the database, that is), it is all based on
the user_name under which you are logged on. The database doesn't know
anything else on which it can base things. So the calling layer has to
translate from URL or virtual home or whatever into a user_name in the
database.

Providing for multiple everythings is decidedly nontrivial, but I'll
start on it.

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill@lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

Let My worship be in the heart that rejoices,
For behold--
All acts of love and pleasure are My rituals.
		-- from The Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente