client-server

David Merrill dmerrill@lupercalia.net
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:36:02 -0500

On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 12:23:41AM -0600, linas@linas.org wrote:
> > > <FLAME>
>
> Can we not flame?

Yes, please!

> Id like to hear someone give a technical overview of how SOAP handles
> events.

I spent last night reading the w3c's SOAP 1.1 spec. Ugh. (Not an
editorial comment, just that reading specs is not my most favorite
thing to do with my evenings.)

It doesn't really do events, except in the sense that HTTP1.1 does.

> > > This is a huge problem.  And you can't stop tracking changes unless
> > > you incorporate the whole SOAP subsystem within GnuCash.  Ewwww..
>
> ewwww!

Yes, indeed. But SOAP is just a data format for sending over the wire
- a wire protocol. Any implementation problems are precisely that.
SOAP looks absurdly easy to generate from my brief perusal. I'll read
more of the spec and see what I think then, though.

> Maybe we need a plugin architecture?

I'm trying to keep up with the protocol issues here, although it isn't
my strong suit. But for the record, the transport should, imnsho, be
kept separate from the database itself. It is a layer to marshall
requests to the database and return responses. But I'm going to
implement the database in a completely agnostic way wrt to protocol.

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill@lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

Hoof and Horn, Hoof and Horn
All that dies shall be reborn