Support for casual users (was: Re: client-server)

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 14:27:52 -0800

David Merrill writes:

> I know that you mean this sincerely. But we really do need to define
> the overall goal/scope of the project. Much has been implied but
> fairly little has been actually laid out.
>
> 1. Are we going to continue support for the local file store?

I think that depends on the feasibility & difficulty of using
an embedded db. If it is simple enough and does not burden a
non-db-savvy user, then I think the embedded db will be the
way to go. I think even a personal user will eventually
outgrow a flat-file store.

> 2. Are we going to attempt to be an enterprise system?

Probably not. At least not for a long while :) Perhaps
one day we could interoperate with gnue (say as a front-end).

> 3. Are we going to attempt to be a small business accounting package?

Yes, definitely.

> 4. How scalable do we really need to be?

I don't have an answer for that one.

> 5. How can we carefully modularize the application so that we fit the
> needs of both home and business users without making as many
> "compromises"?

I don't know, but 'carefully' is definitely the operative word here.

> I would love to see a Free enterprise package, but I don't see how
> gnucash can be both that and a home user package at the same time. My
> vote, and I think yours as well(?), is to always put the home and
> small business user first. Hopefully, gnue will fill the high end.

Agreed.

dave