Proposal for modifying gnucash to use exact quantities

Terry tboldt@attglobal.net
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:41:33 -0400

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> Terry writes:
> > Yes stock transactions
>
> Your broker bills you in thousandths of a dollar?
> --
Actually - yes - the stock are purchased through dividend re-investment. The
dividend is computed to 1/1,000 USD (stock total is carried on their books to
1/1,000 and the dividend is computed to 1/1,000 USD per stock unit.) Thus the
transaction value in USD is computed to 1/1,000 USD. They then purchase
additional stock to 1/1,000 stock at the total value computed in 1/1,000 USD.
The whole transaction is carried out "on the books", no cash changes hands, but
the transaction value is computed to 1/1,000 and that is the smallest unit of
the transaction that is accounted for. Granted if I sold the stock, I would be
paid to within 1/100 USD. But the dividend reinvestment is done to 1/1,000 USD.