Duplicate transactions when importing QIG

Richard Wackerbarth rkw@dataplex.net
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 09:52:52 -0500

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Bill Gribble wrote:

> The kind of duplicate detection you are looking for is in the feature
> list for the next revision of the QIF importer.  It's a little
> trickier, because the fields describing the transaction are often very
> different (comparing a hand-entered transaction to a downloaded one)
> and it's hard to determine when two transactions represent the "same
> thing."

Here, I have to support Bill's interpretation. My suggetion is that we never
attempt to actually complete this operation in an automatic manner.
Rather, I would suggest that we parse the input file and display the
resulting transactions in a split window with our "best guess" match, if any,
listed opposite it. We then allow the user to manually verify each proposed
matching, somewhat like you might do when reconciling file differences in a
graphical "diff".

The user should be able to direct the system to generate a matching entry for
an individual entry or collectively do it for all unmatched ones.
Once all the entries are matched, the user might direct that the matching
entries be marked "cleared".