Get PostgreSQL installed as part of the distros

Matthew Vanecek linux4us@home.com
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 19:11:23 -0500

Robert Graham Merkel wrote:

> John Hasler writes:
>  > Lars writes:
>  > > Wouldn't it be a lot more clever if we could convince the distros to make
>  > > a running, configured PostgreSQL installation part of the default
>  > > install, for the benefit of all?
>  >
>  > Debian already provides a running, configured PostgreSQL installation out
>  > of the package.  I see no need to make it standard, though.  Dependencies
>  > will pull it in when it is needed.
>
> If the world used Debian, the decision to use an SQL backend would be
> considerably easier.  Unfortunately, we have to cope with
> distributions that are less perfect ;)
>
> <ducks from all the other distros and *BSD users>

(me throwing a felt red hat at you =P)

> A simple text file still has other advantages, though.

Some, maybe

Why tie GNUCash to a specific database backend?  It wouldn't be hard to
a write generic SQL interface, and export the API, so that people could
write a driver for any transactional RDBMS.  Include a Postgresql driver
by default.

Also, I'd like to point out, it is not necessary for every installation
of GNUCash have a dbms backend installed with it.  Client/Server, baby,
rocks your world!  Thus, it's probably not necessary to try getting
distributions to include this or that RDBMS in their respective
distributions.  Say, "This is GNUCash.  To use it in this manner, you
must have a transactional RDBMS installed.  Drivers are available
<somewhere>--the default is Postgres".

Simple, eh?

--
Matthew Vanecek