Get PostgreSQL installed as part of the distros

Christopher Browne cbbrowne@hex.net
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 18:35:40 -0500

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:46:13 EDT, the world broke into rejoicing as
Eugene Tyurin <eugene_tyurin@yahoo.com>  said:
> Please do *not* go the RDBMS way!
>
> RDBMS are sexy, "industrial-strength" and stuff.  But unless you need to
> ensure consistency of multiple reads/writes on the same table they only
> thing they provide is a SQL syntax.

I _tend_ to agree.

I would think it more sensible to look at some database system that
is _specifically designed for embedding_, that will not require
either:
 a) Vast quantities of added libraries, or
 b) Management tools.

The options that leap to mind are:
a) Berkeley Sleepycat DB.  This tends to be _included_ with GNU-related
   systems, and provides, in its latest versions, transaction logging,
   locking, and all that sort of thing.  There has been some discussion
   of replacing PostgreSQL's data store with this.

b) GDBM or some generic "DBM interface" that can talk to whatever DBM
   variation is available.

c) Raima's db.linux <http://www.dbstar.org>; this is a "CPLed"
   package that seems to be based on what used to be Raima Velocis.

d) GOODS, FastDB, GigaBASE (memory-oriented DBMSes)

e) InterBase was designed to work with embedded apps

f) I'm interested to see what SAP does with sapdb, apparently soon
   to be available under GPL.

All of these are designed with more of a view to embedding them in other
applications than was the case for MySQL or PostgreSQL.
Some may be of marginal interest, but that's quite OK.

GnuCash doesn't need 17 different kinds of data stores; it only
_forcibly_ needs one, and it would be nice to have a couple or three
options, some time in the long run.
--
cbbrowne@ntlug.org - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/>
Rules of the Evil Overlord #56. "My Legions of Terror will be trained