Multi-user gnucash: owner/group

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 14:59:44 +1100

Rich Shepard writes:
 > On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
 >
 > > We have been extremely conservative in our approach, because we don't
 > > want to lose data.  At the end of each session, a new .xac file is
 > > saved.  If you are confident that the current file retains its integrity,
 > > you can happily delete the other ones.
 >
 > Robert,
 >
 >   So, the .log and .xac files contain transactions that could,
 > theoretically, be rolled back? Or, could be re-entered to bring the books
 > back to where they were left off?

The .xac files are complete snapshots.  The .log files contain a
record of transaction that could be re-entered, but there is no
facility for automating that process with the current version of
gnucash.

 > >>   It appears, too, that the .LCK and .LNK files don't release when we're
 > >> done with the program. Are we doing something wrong here?
 > >>

 > > That's odd.  Are you exiting the program using the normal "exit"
 > > command?
 >
 >   Some of the time. It's crashing consistently as my wife works with it on
 > the other workstation.
Ah.  If the program exits via crashing, the .LCK and .LNK files are
not removed.  You have to delete them yourself.

As for the crashes, we always like to hear bug reports, particularly
if they contain enough information to reproduce the bug and then fix it.

 > It would be better for her to explain it to you
 > folks. Earlier this afternoon she tried to subscrib via the web site but
 > hasn't received any acknowledgement yet. She's a convert from brief
 > experience with windows so a lot of this is frustrating and confusing to
 > her. Patience will be appreciated -- I need to live with her, after all. :-)

Personally, I reserve flamage for the wilfully stupid, not the inexperienced :)
However, if you could help your wife provide as much information in
her crash report as possible it may make the conversation more
productive for all involved.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net