Euro Support

David Keegan dksw@eircom.net
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 10:07:23 +0100

Hi,

I have been trying out gnucash-1.4.0. I am impressed with the product
and I want to use it, but I need to understand how it will get me
through the euro transition in the next year or so.

In 1.4.1 euro support usefully shows amounts in euro as well as in the
base currency of the account (IEP in my case), but unless I am
mistaken I have to enter all amounts in the base currency. Also while
it is possible to change the base currency of an account, it is
"dangerous" and not properly supported.

Currently all my transactions are in IEP, but as I understand it at
some point my (real) bank accounts will change denomination from IEP
to euro, and when the transition is complete I will be entering all
transactions in euro.  During the transition period some transactions
will be in IEP and some in euro.

It would be very useful if I could:

1. Enter an amount in either currency and have gnucash automatically
convert to the base currency of the account (rather than doing the
conversion with a calculator).

2. Change the base currency of an account and have all amounts
automatically converted.

Does anyone have a response on this?

Regards,
David Keegan.