Non-check transaction numbers

Glen Ditchfield gjditchfield@acm.org
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 21:56:53 -0500

On Mon, 04 Sep 2000, Rich Shepard wrote:
> What is the recommended method of assigning non-check transaction numbers
> to, for example, debit card withdrawals from a checking account?

My ATM transaction slips have a 'sequence number' on them, and my web-banking
transactions have a 'confirmation number' (which is actually alphanumeric). I
append them to the transaction's Description field, mostly because that's where
my bank puts them on monthly statements -- reconciliation seems easier when
GnuCash and the paper statement match exactly.