need help with cvs and make-gnucash-patch

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 12:35:37 -0700

Richard -Gilligan- Uschold writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've written a new report for gnucash and would like to submit it.  The
> report displays tax related information, income, deductible expenses,
> etc.

Great! How does the report deductible expenses?

> I have several questions concerning cvs.  I've never used cvs before and
> the information in the README is not completely clear to me.
>
> I downloaded the gnucash-1.4.4 tar ball as the base and made my
> modifications relative to it.  The README says I must do a cvs update
> before running the make-gnucash-patch script.  It is not clear to me,
> which version(s) of gnucash is(are) acceptable to submit a patch to.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Is the latest unstable stable version the only acceptable version to
> submit a patch to?

For new development, it is definitely the preferred version.

> 2. Is the latest stable version acceptable?

For your report, it will probably work, but in the future I would ask
you to use the devel version. Of course, bug fixes to the stable version
are an exception.

> 3. Are other versions acceptable?

Not really, but in this case it will probably work.

> 4.  What exactly are the -r revision tags for older versions?

The versions are tagged in cvs using the scheme 'gnucash-x-y-z' for
gnucash-x.y.z.

> I did a test run of make-gnucash-patch to see if it produced what I
> expected.  It missed two .gif files that are part of the help
> documentation for my new report.  Apparently, the patch program ignores
> binary files.

Yes, only text files go into the patch.

> Question:
> 1. What is the procedure for submitting files that are ignored by
> make-gnucash-patch?

Send them in a separate email (or separate attachment) to gnucash-patches.

thanks,
dave