we forgot something

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net (Robert Graham Merkel)
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:39:35 +1000

Christian Stimming writes:
 >=20
 > Hi goonie,
 >=20
 > we forgot another case. If the user chooses a small display-depth so=
 that=20
 > children accounts are not shown, then what balance should the=20
 > parent-account show?
 >=20
 > > Ok, given accounts
 > >
 > > Rob's Liabilities $500
 > >     Credit Card   $10
 > >            Card1    $60
 > >            Card2    $30
 > >

 > > total liabilities are $600.
 >=20
 > Say display-depth=3D=3D2. With the proposed new options we would hav=
e e.g.=20
 > <report1>
 > Rob's Liabilities
 > =A0 =A0 Credit Card =A0$100
 > Total Rob's Liabilities $600
 > </report1>
 > or
 > <report2>
 > Rob's Liabilities $500
 > =A0 =A0 Credit Card $100
 > Total Rob's Liabilities $600
 > </report2>
 >=20
 > with show-parent-balances?=3D=3D#f for report1 and =3D=3D#t for repo=
rt2, and=20
 > without the Total line if show-parent-totals?=3D=3D#t. =20
 >=20
 > Currently we also have the do-subtot? option (which I never really=20=

 > understood, just carried over as a legacy from the balance-and-pnl.s=
cm),=20
 > which, if #f, would swith the balance for "Credit Card" from $100 to=
 $10.=20
 > Do we want that at all? Perhaps there might be cases when that's use=
ful.=20
 >=20
 > Anyway I can't think of any and I would rather propose the throw out=
 the=20
 > current do-subtot? completely. If, in the example, the user wants to=
 see=20
 > the "Credit Card $10", she would have to increase the display-depth =
and=20
 > set show-parent-totals?=3D=3D#t.=20
 >=20
 > What do you think?

I think you're quite right.

Robert Merkel=09                           rgmerk@mira.net

<telsa> I left my client on #gtk+ overnight and there was nothing=20
in scrollback at all except quit/rejoins.
<bighead> telsa: well its been that for, I think 3 days now=20
(ever since started coming back on IRC)
<telsa> Clearly they are busy implementing telepathy,=20
and dog-fooding it. :)=20