Improvement to the register window

Dirk Herrmann D.Herrmann@tu-bs.de
Tue, 07 Aug 2001 21:17:20 +0200

Hello together,

first, thanks for providing gnucash.  I like it a lot.

Before my comments, let me remark that I am no accounting expert at all,
not even in german, thus my explanations below may sound 'strange'.

1) I try to explain what bothers me using an example:  Lets assume I go
to the supermarket and buy meat for a party, plus some wheels for my
car.
The amount is charged on my bank account.  Now, when I enter this in
gnucash I want to make it a split transaction.  I enter the description
'supermarket' in the line that corresponds to my bank account.  I enter
'party meat' in the line that corresponds to my living expenses account,
and I enter 'wheels' in the line that corresponds to the account for the
expenses for my car.

The problem is, that when I enter the register  window of either the
account for my living expenses or the account for car expenses, the
corresponding line (in single line mode and auto-single line mode)
that is shown always shows the comment 'supermarket'.  I'd rather like
to see 'party meat' in the register window of the living expenses
account and 'wheels' in the car expenses account.  But maybe I am
misunderstanding some of the concepts in the register window?

2) Another thing:  I think it would be nice to have the possibility to
have a 'tag' on every line of every transaction.  Sorting could then
be done using these tags.  For example:  I have been driving for my
employer using my own car.  Thus, I expect to be paid for the miles
driven.  In order not to forget that I should receive that money,
I make a transaction to 'expected refunds'.  However, my boss pays
this money together with my other wages.  Thus, when I receive my
money on the bank account, I would enter a split transaction, with
one part of it being transferred to the 'expected refunds'.

Now, what I want to do is to make it clear that the first transaction
in 'expected refunds' and the second one (that belongs to the split
transaction with my wages) belong together.  I would like to be able
to enter a tag (for example, a number) to the first transaction where
I note that I am expecting the money, and the same tag to that line
of the split transaction that corresponds to the other transaction.
If one would be sorting by tags, then the corresponding transactions
could be seen directly after each other, and it would be easy to
see which expected payments have not been paid yet.

Note, however, that the transaction number does not fulfill this:
Different lines of the same split transaction may need to get different
tags, since in each of the accounts involved, there may need to be
different tags.  For example, if together with my wages and the
refunds for using my private car, there comes some corrective
amount, which actually belongs to the former month (say, it was
forgotten that I had gotten a raise).  In this case, I would have
another line in the split transaction that adds the corresponding
amount to my wages account.  In the wages account, however, I would
like to see all transactions that belong to the wages of a certain
month grouped together using a tag for that month.

I can imagine, that such a feature is of interest for many people.

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann