word change requested for "to scrub"

Bill Gribble grib@linuxdevel.com
09 Aug 2001 10:10:57 -0500

On 09 Aug 2001 09:05:36 -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> Why not use 'find unbalanced transactions'? If that is too long, 'find
> unbalanced'.
>
> This has two good features. First, the word find makes it
> unthreatening - the action will not go and change things behind your
> back. Words like cleanse, and most of the other words you suggested,
> lead people (who don't read documentation) to think it could do
> something dangerous.

But "scrub" does more than just find unbalanced transactions.  It
actually balances them by adding an additional split.  And orphan
splits (those without an account) are changed to put them in an
"orphanage" account.

IMO we need to use a term like "cleanup" or "repair" that keeps the
meaning that this is a beneficial but *not* idempotent operation. "Find"
implies that nothing is actually done, which isn't the case.

b.g.