Why no memo field?

Bill Gribble grib@linuxdevel.com
14 Aug 2001 23:19:58 -0500

On 14 Aug 2001 23:08:21 -0500, Matthew Vanecek wrote:
> That must be some new-fangled code in 1.6.x.  I don't have that button
> in 1.4.x.

Right, that's in 1.6.  Since 1.6 has been out for a couple of months
it's my default assumption that people are using it.

> As long as it only shows the split for the current
> transaction, yes, that would work, kindof.  But then, wouldn't you still
> have to go the each account in the split, open that account, put it in
> double-line (with memo) mode, and enter the memo information there?

I don't think you're using the word "split" in the same way that Gnucash
does.  A "split" is a debit or credit to a single account.  Every
transaction has at least two splits.  What Quicken calls a "split
transaction" would be one that had 3 or more splits in Gnucash (i.e. it
affects more than two accounts).

In the 1.4.x series, I believe you could use the "Multi Line" or "Auto
Single" mode of the register display to show all the splits of the
current transaction. "Auto Double" mode shows all transactions in double
line (i.e. with memo) mode except the current transaction, which is
shown with all splits and their memos.

> Ideally, you should be able to enter all split information (memo and
> all) for a given transaction all at once.

Right, you can do this in 1.6 with "General Ledger" mode or with
"Multi-line", "Auto Single" or "Auto Double" modes in 1.4.x.

> Forgive me for being a little behind, but given all the bug reports
> posted about 1.6.x, I'm gonna wait for a while before I upgrade.

If you're waiting for bug-free software, let me suggest that you get a
comfortable chair and a large supply of your favorite beverage :)

b.g.