Budgeting

Gregory Novak greg@novak.cern.ch
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:42:49 -0500 (EST)

I'm interested in getting Gnucash budgeting going.  Right now I'm using a
shaky system involving Gnucash and Gnumeric, but this is getting annoying
very quickly.

Once upon a time there seemed to be some work going on on this, but my
impression is that no one is currently working on it.  Is this true?  If
it's not true, who should I contact to contribute?

One thing I'm not sure how to handle is long term debt.  As a first
attempt at budgeting working, one might be tempted to just go through all
existing accounts looking for "expense" accounts, and then ask the user to
specify what they want to spend on each account in a month.  However, I
have school loans so to my monthly budget these look like expenses, but of
course the accounts aren't classified as expenses.  So there needs to be
some way to tell the budgeting stuff that some accounts behave as expenses
even though they're classified as liabilities or whatever.

Thanks,
Greg