Saving pane layouts in .xac file

Rob Browning rlb@cs.utexas.edu
05 Jan 2001 16:08:34 -0600

Robert Graham Merkel <rgmerk@mira.net> writes:

> Rob, I'd like so save the pane layout as part of the .xac file, rather
> than have it as a seperate file or as a part of the .gnucash-auto
> file.
>
> As it's file metadata, rather than something that fits with a specific
> account, transaction, or split, it's not really suitable for putting
> in the existing kvp_frame system, AFAICT.
>
> How should I go about this?

I'd add another section to the output file.  You might want to talk to
Jim about this.  We're going to need a <prefs> section in the output
file anyway.  There are some things that more properly belong with the
file rather than with the user's home dir.

Also, we might even need something like:

  <prefs>
    <somepref>
      <user>rgmerk</user>
      <value>foo</value>
    </somepref>
  </somepref>

i.e. per-user, data-file specific settings/prefs.  If you put these in
the user's homedir config instead, then you accumulate cruft whenever
files are deleted -- the files are gone, but their per-user settings
aren't.  Further, putting these in the file eliminates the question of
which prefs go with which file.

FWIW.