pre-design-doc budgeting notes [long]

Joshua Sled jsled@asynchronous.org
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:09:37 -0800

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 08:52:28AM -0700, Clark Jones wrote:
| I haven't read the whole thing, but this caught my eye.  I'm wondering
| if an enum might not be too restrictive here.  You've already missed at
| least one frequency that applies to me, to wit, SEMI_MONTHLY.  My paychecks
| come on the 15th and last day of the month.  There are a lot of companies
| in the U.S. that use this pay cycle, at least for salaried employees.

The "wackiest recurring expense" mail was an attempt to ensure that something simple [like this enum] was sufficient.  Actually, I was more curious about the granularity of amount specification wrt recurrance freq [and amount-change frequency]...  I was spending far too much time not coming up with a solution for a highly-granular approach I was thinking of.  I think this will be fine until I/someone can figure that out, sometime down the road.

I should have included this in that doc, but semi-monthly == bi-weekly.
Maybe semi-monthly is the right term for it. [My paycheck is that way, as
well].

| Come to think about it, I also have at least one expense that is SEMI_YEARLY:
| my auto insurance (November and May on one vehicle, July and January on the
| other).

How silly of me... 6-mo cycles, yes... It will be added.

...jsled