Detecting shared library problems

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
06 Mar 2001 19:26:11 -0500

Robert Graham Merkel <rgmerk@mira.net> writes:

> You might notice that we never hear of problems from Debian users
> trying to install the Debian packages.  That's because Debian *does*
> have this problem solved.  Debian dependancies are package rather than
> file-based, and the Debian package management front-ends automatically
> pull in required packages.

Huh?  RedHat package dependencies are both package and file based
dependencies.  Only the automatic dependencies are file-based.  The
packager, however, can supply a dependency on a particular package
version.  The only time this is really necessary is when you have
shared libraries that have the same SO-number but are incomptabile.