External Interface

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net (Robert Graham Merkel)
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 17:04:04 +1100

Bell John writes:
 > In the features list for Gnucash is the ability to
 > interface to other products via pipes or if memory
 > serves me, from sockets.  I can't find any doco on
 > this.  I want to be able to export my accounts to be
 > written to a Postgresql database for integration with
 > the software I am writing to support a new business
 > venture.  Can someone point me to documentation on
 > this or outline the correct procedure to me.

OK, there are several issues here.  Work is proceeding apace on
GnuCash's own Postgres backend, which is currently available in the
CVS version.  Secondly, you can fairly easily extend gnucash by
writing guile scripts - much of gnucash is, as you've probably seen,
written in guile.   Thirdly, gnucash is gaining the ability to act
as a specialized "financial web browser" by using the extensible
capabilities of gtkhtml and guppi.

However, if none of the above provides the capabilities you want, I
believe Derek Atkins is writing an RPC interface to the engine, though
it's apparently not to the stage where he's ready to submit patches.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

<telsa> I left my client on #gtk+ overnight and there was nothing
in scrollback at all except quit/rejoins.
<bighead> telsa: well its been that for, I think 3 days now
(ever since started coming back on IRC)
<telsa> Clearly they are busy implementing telepathy,
and dog-fooding it. :)