[Fwd: {gnuCash} feature suggestion]

dingman@cs.earlham.edu dingman@cs.earlham.edu
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:55:16 -0500

On Tuesday 20 March 2001 15:23, you wrote:
>Discussions and replies to suggestions like yours belong on the list.
>Your needs may seem off-the-wall to you, but it is that assemblage of
>suggestions that helps make gnuCash such a great package.  It is just
>this feedback, the blue-sky suggestions, and subsequent thrashing
> around that most closed corporate programmers are not allowed to
> access.
=09OK, I'm here. I didn't initially think it would be worth joining,=20
since I've already got all my programming time comitted to another=20
project, for a grade. It'll be released under the GPL as soon as either=20
(a) there is enough there to be worth someone else's time or (b) I=20
graduate and therefore no longer have any reason not to let other=20
people help me over the hard bits because the project isn't a class=20
anymore.  However, if you think my comments here can be useful without=20
code, here I am.

>Your idea appeals to me, though I fear packages that grow into worlds
> of their own.  I favor modularity and inter-modular communication.=20
> It probably comes from long use of Amiga systems, where even the
> "file requestor" tool can be a module of one's own choice, and each
> major package can use its own or my favorite as I like.
=09I, too, find modularity to be a good thing. Without knowing much about=
=20
the software architecture, the only thing I would expect to put into=20
Gnucash to implement this feature is a hook to pull in xscanimage from=20
the SANE package, the same way the GIMP does. It does occurr to me that=20
it would be convenient to have the images actually stored in the=20
gnucash data files simply because I would want to keep them encrypted=20
and I already have a ritual for encrypting and decrypting my gnucash=20
files around sessions. However, those files could easily get too big=20
and handling them is, as others have pointed out, not necessarily=20
something Gnucash should bother itself with. The solution to my=20
encryption desires is a transparent cryptographic filesystem, not=20
bloating Gnucash. I don't like the ones that exist right now, but I'm=20
working on that problem :)