[SQL-Ledger-users] OT: Web-based Checking Software

John Foster jfoster@augustmail.com
Fri, 04 May 2001 10:34:31 -0500

Linas Vepstas wrote:

> On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 04:37:12PM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson was heard to remark:
> > Slightly off topic but I'm looking for check book software.  I'm
> > currently using GnuCash which is nice but I haven't found a reasonable
> > way to tie into SQL-Ledger.  So I'm hoping someone knows of some
> > web-based software.  Probably, needless to say, but perl based, and
> > using PostgreSQL (or other DBI based method) it preferred.
>
> If anyone can help the gnucash developers in figuring out how to tie
> into sql-ledger (and/or writing the code to do the same) that would be
> great.   BTW, gnucash has a a beta postgres backend.  It works fine in
> single-user mode, but has difficulties in multi-user mode.
>
> If you do debate this further, please cc. the gnucash-devel@gnucash.org
> mailing list.
>
> --linas
Hi Linas! I recently suggested that SQL-Ledger incorporate the ability
to import/export ".qif" style files directly into its database. That may
not be the best solution, but by putting a table or tables in place that
handle bank related functions it would be possible to use gnucash or
moneydance (or most other money management systems) to include realtime
cash management functions into SQL-Ledger. I am very weak in postgresql
skills, there may be a way to do the same thing from some postgresql
management system. I have also proposed that to the developers at
Webmin.
If/when the beta gnucash with a postgresql backend becomes stable in a
multiuser environment the procedure becomes simply a matter of using a
single incorporated database that has all of the tables necessary. ( a
dream come true)
This is very important to me as it is an integral part of the
development of a complete retail environment using only open source
software. Please cc: jfoster@augustmail.com with any discussion on this.
Thanks.
John Foster