code in cvs is broken

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
15 Nov 2001 14:37:38 -0500

linas@linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> > -derek, who is trying to track down an apparent memory corruption bug.
>
> I guess libefence didn't help.

No, efence required way too much memory, at least when I compiled the
whole program.  I changed over to using dmalloc (although I might
still have used efence on my module because I was stupid).

As I mentioned in a more recent email, I've tracked it down to an
unbalanced gtk_main() (without gtk_main_quit()) that was destroying
some of my widgets from under me.

> Note that gdb allows you to 'watch' memory locations for read/write
> access.  But its *extremely* slow -- like hours for a few cpu-secsonds
> real time.   I dunno if its broken, or is designed for use with a hardware
> debugger behind it.

I tried that, but it wasn't helping.

> You might try a stunt of unmapping the page which you think is getting
> corrupted, and then seeing who faults on that page access.

Hrm, I hadn't thought of that; the problem is that I really wanted
it to fail when it was being freed.  Unfortunately there is no
way (that I know) to say:
	break in g_free when the argument is 0xXXXXX