RFC: refactoring window-register as widget-register + containing window

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
25 Nov 2001 17:58:44 -0800

--=-4KWmpHqPDP/ImO17Ij2K

On Sun, 2001-11-25 at 17:52, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com> writes:
>=20
> > > I guess I'll figure this all out...  One would think you could
> > > refer to the cell by it's location.  But whatever.  I'll figure
> > > it out from here, I think.
> >=20
> > Ok, just one more point :) You *could* refer to the cell
> > by its location. But that makes your model dependent on
> > your layout in a brittle way. Better to have actual names.
>=20
> Yea, but you already need to have a list of cell locations; just keep
> a pointer to the list and viola, you always have your references. :)

Pointer to the list? You are thinking too low-level here.

Something needs to have a list of cell locations, but that
is implementation detail that the user-level model shouldn't
know about. The user code should be written at as high a level
as possible so it can be written in C or Scheme, preferably in
a declarative style where that is possible.

The goal here is to eventually specify much of the layout
and model in scheme.

dave

--=-4KWmpHqPDP/ImO17Ij2K

--=-4KWmpHqPDP/ImO17Ij2K--