QIF import and customization

Anthony W. Juckel awj@digitalgreen.com
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 07:55:05 -0600

I posted this message on gnucash-user a few days back, but not many
people seem to be biting.  One user CC'ed part of my query over to
devel, but again, no bites.  So, I'm going to try posting my questions
in full here on devel one more time.

What it all boils down to is this:  I like extensibility.  It is the
main reason that I choose Emacs as my preferred editor, because (at
least back when I was choosing editors) emacs' customizability and
extensibility were far superior to vi.  I like being able to define my
own lisp functions to get run at any step of the way.

I am looking for that functionality in GnuCash, and am told that it has
full guile support, but the thing it is lacking (at least from my
perspective) is proper documentation.  I don't know if I just haven't
found the appropriate docs or what, but I can't seem to find much, if
any, information on how to use guile to customize GnuCash.  Is there a
startup file that gets loaded where I could put some guile procedure
definitions?  Are there any hooks into the system so I can easily tell
my newly defined function to run when a specific event happens (say,
when a transaction is saved)?  Can I override system defined procedures
with my own (specifically, I'd like to make some modifications to
gnc:group-find-duplicates to better suit my needs, as right now, it
still keeps duplicating all checks that I have written)?  Is there any
definitive documentation on this, anywhere?  Is there even any sparse
documentation anywhere?  I've seen plenty of docs about how guile
interacts with the system, but no docs on how the user can use guile to
modify their own system, without having to edit the global guile
definitions.

Anthony W. Juckel
Gnucash 1.6.1 (debian package)