Comments, Observations, and some XML file format questions

Rob Browning rlb@defaultvalue.org
Wed, 05 Sep 2001 21:04:54 -0500

Paul Lussier <pll@mclinux.com> writes:

> I suppose I could use this as an excuse to learn Scheme/Guile/Lisp :)

Doing this from Guile has the added advantage of using the engine,
which in theory will always know how to handle the data, and should
handle access races by at least refusing to let you open the file when
someone else already has it open.  That should address the cron-job
issue.

> Huh?  Who said anything about hooking into the GUI?  That's exactly
> the problem I'm trying get around.  The whole point is to write
> COMMAND LINE utilities to manipulate the data.  I don't *WANT* to
> use the GUI.

And although you should already be able to run an arbitrary gnucash
command from the command line using --evaluate or --load, once we have
it so that gnucash is fully modularized, you could just fire up an
arbitrary guile, readline-enabled prompt (incl history), and just type
(or hit the up arrow to get)

  $ guile -l my-gnc-funcs.scm
  guile> (add-my-coffee-today)
  #t
  guile> (exit)
  $

For the truly adventurous, you could wrap up some ncurses functions
and start a terminal-only gnucash...

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu