Addition of HBCI support, Maturity of 1.7-branch, next stable release time frame?

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Thu, 04 Apr 2002 11:21:56 +0200

Hi all,

In a message to this ML yesterday it was pointed out that there is an
Open Source API for the German Online Banking standard HBCI available
now. I had been looking forward to this since last summer, and
eventually it seems like this API will actually be usable from within
Gnucash.

A note about the point of HBCI support: Roughly half of the banks in
Germany use the HBCI standard as their online banking technology, so
there is quite some demand for HBCI client software. There still doesn't
exist ANY open source HBCI-capable software (Linux and/or Windows) out
there in Germany, and there exists exactly ONE HBCI-capable proprietary
software on Linux (Moneyplex by Matrica
http://www.matrica.de/prodmpxwinlnx.htm Price: EUR 59 and up). On
Windows, there are a few more (of course), but they still are only a
few. This means that IF we add HBCI-support in Gnucash, we would
actually be the FIRST ONE to do this. Within all humility, this would
probably give us press reactions up to the leading-edge computing
journals ("First open source HBCI client ever available") and it might
boost our user base in Germany by maybe a factor of 10.

However, when I think about implementing HBCI support in Gnucash, I
started to wonder what development branch of Gnucash would be suitable
to do this. Of course, one would say, this is a new feature and thus it
should be developed on the 1.7 branch, since this is per definition the
development branch. Additionally, quite a bunch of Gnucash internals
have changed now in the 1.7 branch, so the development in 1.6 and 1.7 is
quite different and preferrably we should only work within one branch of
the two. On the other hand, the time frame of implementing HBCI support
*and* getting enough users to test it would be to do that during the
next ~3-4 months. AND once the HBCI support has reached a beta stage, I
would definitely want to make a *new stable release* with precisely the
HBCI support added (and giving us the press etc. echo mentioned above).

So I would like to ask the whole community:

* What do you think about the maturity of the 1.7 branch?

* What would need to be done before 1.7 reaches a beta-stable stage?
This doesn't necessarily mean that all of the new user-visible features
currently in 1.7 need to be stable and/or complete; we could very well
postpone the completion of some of the user-visible features to a later
point in time. But for the HBCI feature, we would need to have the
internal new features of Gnucash to be definitely stabilized.

* What would be needed to make a new stable release from the 1.7 branch
within the next 4-6 months?

Cheers,

Christian Stimming