Scheduled Transactions

Josh Sled jsled@asynchronous.org
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:53:53 -0700

On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 11:13:00PM -0700, Matt Martin wrote:

| Can anybody comment on the current status of scheduled transactions ?

Scheduled Transactions are in development in CVS.  The user can create a
set of scheduled transactions for a number of frequencies of recurrance,
and setup a template transaction to be "instantiated" at the time of
creation.  The credit/debit cells of this template can contain ad-hoc
variable names, for which the user will be prompted [if necessary] at
transaction-creation time.

A better version of them is [unfortunately] on my hard drive.  I was
hoping to do a commit this weekend, but I've run into a nasty [read:
debilitating] UI problem which has prevented it.  The big addition
on my hard drive is in the cancellation of the since-last-run dialog,
and the use of a "register-widget" which allows the standard register
look-n-feel to be embedded in the gnome-druid, allowing the user their
accustomed-to interface to reviewing and making last-minute adjustments
during xaction creation.

| Had them all set up a few months back, but it was having a few problems
| and I stopped using them.

This was in CVS, then, I take it?

| Have we moved forward ?

Yes, but not by leaps and bounds... work and real life have been quite busy.

| Does anybody plan to work on this functionality ?

Yes, but help is _always_ appreciated... if you can help in the development,
check src/doc/TODO-schedxactions for a pretty details list of what's
b0rken, working and to-be-done ... or contact me via e-mail/im or catch
me in #gnucash@irc.gnome.org [if you can] to discuss in person.

Also, testing and feedback -- especially once I make the aforementioned
commit -- is always a good way to help.

The biggest areas needing work moving forward are UI cleanup .. the
Scheduled Transactions List could be a _lot_ better.  The variable-binding
table in the since-last-run dialog could be cleaned up a bit.  Tab handling
there could be redefined to help the user [I have some notes regarding
this in src/gnome/dialog-sxsincelast.c on my hd].

With some non-zero amount of luck, I hope to commit the stuff on my HD
before the end of the week.

Cheers...
...jsled

--