Book clsoing [was: Re: Addition of HBCI support, Maturity of 1.7-branch, next stable release time frame?

Michael T. Garrison Stuber garrisonstuber@bellsouth.net
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:05:21 -0400

--On Wednesday, April 17, 2002 08:57:23 PM -0400 Derek Atkins
<warlord@MIT.EDU> wrote:
> I imagine that in some views the "extra split" would be combined
> together and leave you with just the total split value.  So in the
> main view you'd only see one Split for 500 shares at $20, unless you
> looked at the lot view, in which case you'd see it split.

Okay, I fully admit that I hack around (not in) GNUCash for the most part
-- that is, I'm largely interested in the adding to the reports and things
on the edges -- but does the engine actually support that?  Perhaps I
misunderstood Linas's comments about a split being assigned to one lot and
one lot only.  I understood a split to be a single atomic financial
transaction between two or more accounts.  If I understand Linas correctly
(big if), combining things in certain views would entail either (a)
violating the one lot per split rule, or (b) having some sort of metadata
to know what to combine, or (c) the GUI making a best guess about combining
things based on some set of embedded rules.  (I suppose option C could work
like the different register views, but it seems kind of scary to me that
the register would combine splits)  Of course, I may not really appreciate
what a split is, or how they work.  Am I bent?