HBCI-abort

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:18:20 +0100

Ok ok ok ok ok ok.

Sorry for my harsh reaction, but I was just getting upset about continuously
receiving bug reports from Eildert without yet having time to work on it.

On Mittwoch, 11. Dezember 2002 22:47, bock@step.polymtl.ca wrote:
> I told you, LIVE on IRC that I was about to commit a
> change to "Allow HBCI users to chose which matcher they wanted to use"
> BEFORE I committed.  You can't claim you didn't see it, since you asked me
> to specify if I was talking about the account matcher or transaction
> matcher.  You didn't ask me to delay it, and I thought it was implicit you
> knew I obviously couldn't test it.

This is correct. However, at the time you were asking I was actually heavily
involved into "real work", which made it impossible to a) have enough time to
start a conversation with you about what you are really going to to, and b)
actually seeing what is going on, let alone reviewing the code change.
Actually if you've had been on IRC something like 10 minutes longer, I
would've had time to tell you that I can't review it for some time to come...
whatever, that doesn't change a thing right now.

What I think you *could* have done is that you could've picked up the bug
report by Eildert that already came in yesterday. He mentioned the terms
"HBCI", "import", and "crash!", and as I answered my answer (probably) showed
that I had no clue what he was talking about. You might have had picked up
this emails, like if you were watching closely whether anybody reported any
problems with your not-tested-changes... whatever, that doesn't change a
thing right now, too.

> but I had absolutely no right to push, since on what you
> spend your time and how much you spend on it is your business.

Sure, and true for both of us and any of us developers.

> Now hadn't never told me before that you have been following my progress on
> the matcher thru OFX.  Perhaps if you had we wouldn't be having this
> discussion.

OTOH you didn't ask whether I do this or not, too...

> And I don't need my computer engineering
> degree to know that a developer is very bad at finding logic errors (TRUE
> or FALSE errors are quite typical) in code added on night shifts.

Agreed. Sure.

> Had I known you were
> considering abandoning yours, it would have been considerably easier for me
> to change the source and make it easy to revert like you did when you first
> coded your matcher.

Well, it is not that I already decided on abandoning mine, but it's an option.
It simply depends on which one looks better eventually. If yours definitely
looks better and/or more promising to spend some time on to develop it
further, I will happily throw mine away -- but this really wasn't clear to me
until, well, until you added the color bars to the table... these look just
amazingly nice.

> Now ok, I screwed up.  I can understand you were annoyed.  Accuse me of
> writing crap code in general if you want, it would be unproductive, but I
> can take it.

I would kindly ask you to be even more careful when adding code you can't
test. Like, wait for an explicit acknowledgement instead of just silent
consent. Other than that, no, you haven't screwed up, at least not more than
what every developer turns out to do every now and then :-)))

> But for the rest, I [...] didn't do it right before a beta.
> So HBCI was broken in CVS for two days because I screwed up a true or false
> and you didn't have time to look at it immediately.  So what, that's why we
> have CVS.

Right, this is definitely correct.

> > Now for the facts: A user preference about which "import matcher" to
> > choose
>
> Thanks for the feedback, I'll read and comment once I have a cooler head.
> For now I am going back to my vacation.

Vacation? Well, have fun...

Christian

PS: