Some oddities in gnucash-cvs

Rik Harris rik@kawaja.net
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:54:27 +1100

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 09:39:45AM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Rik,
>
> Thank you very much for your detailed report.  A bunch of comments
> are inline....
>
> Rik Harris <rik@kawaja.net> writes:
>
> > In the interests of providing something useful back to the GnuCash effort,
> > I've been using the CVS version (last ChangeLog entry is 2002-11-26)
> > of GnuCash and have noticed a few strange things.  Perhaps someone could
> > identify whether they are problems with me or the software.
>
> Well, your CVS tree is two weeks old.  There have been a lot of changes
> since 11-26.  You might want to "cvs update -Pd" and then rebuild.
> I think you'll find a number of these issues have been fixed.

Hmm, I was using the email like a running diary - time flies when you're
having fun.

> > I can reliably reproduce all of these.  I've run 'Check and Repair all'
> > and it makes no difference.
> >
> >     "Error: check_open: transaction 0x836d358 not open for editing
> >
> >      Error: check_open:      Transaction.c:95"
>
> I believe this is fixed

Yep.

> > 2.  Once (1) has happened, when creating a new transaction, the
>
> I believe this is fixed, too.

Yep.

> > 3.  When reconciling a liability account (credit card), I enter the date
>
> This may still be there -- can you check this again with a "more current"
> CVS?

Still broken - have reported via bugzilla.

> > 4.  When I search for |Value| |<anything>| |is equal to| |<any amount>|,
> >     I get a bunch of unrelated share transactions.  It returns the same
> >     transactions every time.  Should I be able to use this for searching
> >     for transaction amounts?
>
> Hmm.. Could you provide more information on this one?  Do you have
> multi-currency transactions?  It is possible that I messed this up,
> but I need more information to know how to test it to reproduce it.

Will report via bugzilla with additional research.

> > 5.  When editing an invoice (great stuff, by the way), once I enter a
>
> Hey, thanks.  I'm glad you like it!  *blushes*   Anyways, this was fixed
> in CVS (on 12-1).

Yep.

> > 6.  Once I've "post"ed an invoice, I can't "unpost" it.  How is this
> >     feature supposed to work?
>
> It doesn't (yet).  It's on my list of things to actualy implement.
> The button is there because I wanted to get it in before the UI
> "feature freeze" that happened a couple weeks ago, but the actual
> UnPost code does not exist.  I know what needs to be implemented; I
> just need to actually implement it.  It may not make it into 1.8.0,
> but it will definitely make it into _some_ (early) 1.8 release.

Ah.

> > 7.  (this one is a feature request) I would like to be able to configure
> >     the list of sources for commodity price quotes.  I found that Yahoo
> >     Australia works, but that's not in the list (although it is in the
> >     Finance::Quote).  I had to modify quotes/finance-quote-helper and
> >     app-utils/gnc-ui-util.c every time.  Maybe a one-time update to
> >     those files to include everything that Finance::Quote supports would
> >     be better.  Would you like a patch?  Maybe after 1.8.0?
>
> I _think_ this may be fixed in the CVS.  At least I know there has been
> some changes to the interface to F::Q...

That seems to do the job perfectly.

> > I'm otherwise very happy with GnuCash and am keen to help out.
> >
> > I haven't tried 1.7.5.  Should I?
>
> Well, you _can_ try 1.7.5, but I would suggest you "update" your CVS
> and rebuild. You'll find a LOT of your issues have already been fixed.
> For those that haven't may I suggest reports to bugzilla?
>
>         http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GnuCash

Done.  The link on the gnucash web page confused me initially - the
'simple bug assistant' doesn't include GnuCash and it took a while to
find a place to log gnucash bugs - my fault.

thanks,
rik.