gnucash 1.6.<mumble> crashed, can I replay the log?

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 21:47:31 -0600

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 02:52:55PM -0800, Dave Peticolas was heard to remark:
> On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 07:25, Rusty Carruth wrote:
> >
> > Bummer!  I had spent about an hour last night entering stuff
> > and working on reconciling an account, when gnucash crashed
> > (yes, I violated RULE #1 of working on a computer - save early,
> > save often).
> >
> > I had previously noticed the log file, and last night I thought
> > "Hmm - I wonder if I can get gnucash to re-run part or all
> > of that log file so I don't have to re-enter the transactions
> > that I had to enter?  I'll have to ask the list tomorrow."
> >
> > So, I'm asking  ;-)
>
> Sorry, but no :)

Could I convince someone, anyone, to go into TransLog.c and gut it, and
replace it with the following very very very simple code:

printf ("(gnc:split-set-memo split %s)", xaccSplitGetMemo (split));

and so on, down the line, so that the contents of the resulting log file
would be valid scheme that could be piped to guile, to recreate the lost
session?

The goal is to keep things as simple as possible; the log files don't
have to be efficient or fancy or anything, just simple, low-tech,
workable.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>