QIF import problem (with sample)

Frank Murphy fjm_maillists@yahoo.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:12:12 +0100

I recently exported old data from Quicken 98 on Mac. When I import it
into GnuCash, I end up with some of my transactons having half of the
split multiplied by 100. I've included a sample problem. It seems
that the face that the Q-field is 600 and not 600.00 makes this
happen.

---->8----
Type:Invst
D01/06/1995
NShrsIn
YMoney Fund
I1
Q600
T600.00
^
----8<----

For now, my workaround will be to modify the QIF so that the (around
8) Q-fields will get a ".00" appended. This seems to have worked.

A strange side-effect is that after importing, viewing this
transaction (and not doing anything) causes GnuCash to complain that
a change has been made and should it be committed. I assume that this
is because the QIF import doesn't have to play by the double-entry
rules, but the GUI notices. It would be nicer if the QIF import
noticed these problems and warned the user, perhaps giving
instructions on how to report the particular broken transaction.

A similar looking problem is that I can't change the price of this
comodity to $1. When I try, it gets turned to 0.01. For now, I've
priced it at 1.01, which is wrong, but closer than 0.01.

This program is pretty nicely done. Thanks so much.

Frank