balances on individual tx's wrong in register (was: no subject)

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 11:24:57 -0500

--p4qYPpj5QlsIQJ0K

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 07:13:01AM -0700, Olaf Faaland was heard to remark:
> Well good, at least it's not just something I did to break my copy.
>=20
> I understand the nature of the problem.  It is a difficult one, at least=
=20
> computationally.
>=20
> I'm actually in the process of trying to understand the register code, wi=
th=20
> the idea that I might attempt to tackle this.  Pat your buddha's belly fo=
r me=20
> some time.

Originally, this was meant to be a 'feature' not a bug. Each split
carries the running balance on the account from which it was drawn, in=20
date-posted order.  I beleive that the register
always shows this balance, irrespective of the sort order, the subset
of splits being viewed, etc.   In other words, the 'balance' is the balance
of the account at the time the transaction was commited.  It is *not*
a running subtotal of the displayed splits.

Note that 'date of entry' is *not* the same as 'date posted'.   The posted
date is supposed to be when the actual flow of money occured.  The date of=
=20
entry is merely the day tht you did the key-wapping. So if you sort
by date-of-entry, you can expect the balances to look goofy.=20

If you "fix" this problem, I suggest leaving the "balance" column alone,
and adding a new column type, called the "subtotal" column.  The
subtotal column would show an always-increasing subtotal of the splits
being displayed (in the ortder that they are displayed).  The balance
column is *meant* to show the account balance, and not the running subtotal.

(I suspect that the documentation, the help, the column labels and
foreign-language translations need to be adjusted to make a careful
distinction between these two concepts).

--linas

>=20
> Olaf
>=20
> On Wednesday 03 July 2002 04:25 am, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Yes, you're right.  And yes, I can reproduce this problem, but I don't
> > know a good way to _fix_ it.  In short: running balances are HARD.
> >
> > Here's the problem: the register is only a partial view of the
> > account.  For example, you can limit your view to, say, the last 50
> > transactions.  When you change the sort order you change the subset of
> > the account you are viewing.  How do you know the initial balance
> > outside the area you are looking?
> >
> > To take your example, assume you have 3 transactions (let's call them
> > a, b, and c in the "standard" sort order) but you're only viewing 2 (b
> > and c).  In the case of the 'standard' sort order, everything works
> > fine and the running balances are in order (for obvious reasons).
> > However, if you change the order such that you are now viewing, say, b
> > and a, there is no easy way to determine that 'a' was left off.  Now,
> > multiply this to thousands of transactions and you quickly see the
> > problem.
> >
> > Feel free to file a bug report at bugzilla.gnome.org, but honestly I
> > can't think of a good way to support what you want.
> >
> > -derek
> >
> > Olaf Faaland <ofaaland@attbi.com> writes:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I noticed this (running balances wrong in register), too.
> > >
> > > On my machine, I believe it occurred after I switched the display ord=
er
> > > in the register from the default order to "Date Entered", but I hadn't
> > > gotten around to trying to re-create it yet.  I use the xml backend. =
 My