PostgreSQL & Freecoins

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 10:34:59 -0600

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 07:19:30PM -0600, John F Meinel Jr was heard to rem=
ark:
> Once again I'm here to ask a question for freecoins, the palm record=20
> keeping software (http://freecoins.sourceforge.net)...
> Someone believed that gnucash supported a SQL backend instead of using=20
> an XML file.  Is that true?  The reason is that the author and lead=20
> developer of freecoins would like to see it connected with a SQL db as=20
> a generic conduit.  And then have gnucash connect to the same db.
> So were they right?  Or is that an old, unused feature that isn't=20
> supported anymore?

Uhhh...
The SQL backend in gnucash doesn't support some of the newer
features.  It was designed to be robust and reliable in a multi-user
environment.  Unfortunately, that means that its a bit on the
complicated side, and is kind-of hard to extend to add new features.
It seems that no one is clamoring for SQL, not really, not enough
to do much about it.

But I think the core gnucash sql tables (account, transaction, etc)
are in fine shape, and should be usable by others, if so desired.

> I believe his thought was that since it is already in database format=20
> (palm db), it is easier to convert it to another database format, then=20

palm "db's" are nothing at all like sql.=20=20

--linas

--=20
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>
PGP Key fingerprint =3D 8305 2521 6000 0B5E 8984  3F54 64A9 9A82 0104 5933

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO--