Problem found (Was: GnuCash 1.7.5 never displays)

Roland Roberts roland@astrofoto.org
21 Jan 2003 11:41:34 -0500

    Derek> Well, that could be part of the problem, as the RPMs were built on
    Derek> RH7.3.  Unless you plan to upgrade to RH7.3, I think you're going to
    Derek> have to rebuild gnucash...

    Derek> -derek

    da> Another question: did you build g-wrap and gnucash or install
    da> from the RPMs?

    >> I think I just installed from the RPMs, but I can't remember any
    >> more.

It would appear that some of this is a window manager/gnucash
interaction problem.  After successfully using GnuCash 1.7.7 for a
while (having done the above rebuild), I found GnuCash launched,
displayed the splash screen with status updates, a small window would
flash and disappear while the CPU dropped to zero and the splash
screen just sat there.  This was exactly what happened before.  After
staring at the screen for a few seconds, I pulled up the window list
and saw there was another GnuCash window listed.  I toggled over to it
and found a notice about scheduled transactions which required that I
dismiss it.

I suspect this was what was happening all along.  I'm not clear on
exactly where the window went, much less why.  I think was using
Gnome/metacity at first, but I switched to us FVWM (which I am
currently using) and may have actually been using that at the time.  I
actually think the window was iconified(!) since when I toggled to in
in the window list, it popped up on the same virtual screen as the
GnuCash splash screen.

In any event, it looks like this "failure" was a red herring.

roland
--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland@rlenter.com                            6818 Madeline Court