Interesting article

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Wed Jan 22 13:17:09 CST 2003

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 02:05:50PM -0500, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> Hmm.. I sent mail to Simson (I know him and his wife) and asked ;)

Woulda been a kick to get gnucash mentioned. ...

> "Matthew Vanecek" <mevanecek at yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > This doesn't say anything about Gnucash, but it seems relevant to what
> > we're doing.  The author of the article is of the opinion that casual
> > users will most likely be moving to Web-base banking software.
> > Interesting read, in any case.
> >
> > http://www.msnbc.com/news/856706.asp?0pu=70

Yeah, well, its hard to beat the web for banking, esp. since you can't
do banking at all with gnucash.  (e.g. pay bills, which is theoretically
possible woith ofx.)

But note: most of my transactions in gnucash don't reflect what the bank
knows (e.g. expense reimbursements from my employer).  The article also
mentions 'stitching together info from different sources':  I have several
bank accounts, and stocks too, and no one web interface does them all
(or at least, I would not trust any one website with all that info.
Fraud on the web is still on the rise).

That said, I think it would be neat to somehow hot-link to your
banking website from gnucash, and back, in some 'seamless' manner.
But 'seamless' is hard, due to browser wars.

--linas