Many accounts = slow register window

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Thu Jul 17 23:13:59 CDT 2003

Has anyone noticed this before?  If you create a GnuCash account
heirarchy with lots (663 in my case) of accounts, it becomes really slow
to open an account register window.  Every other aspect of using GC
appears to be snappy, it is just the account register window opening
that is slow.  Once it is open, you can work with the transactions with
no problems.

Initial loading the file is quick, and populating the accounts with
transactions doesn't seem to change the opening times much.  It appears
to simply be a function of the number of accounts.

Anyway, I have a stripped down (27kb) GnuCash file which demonstrates
this (no transactions, just an empty account heirarchy of 663 accounts),
if anyone wants to take a look:

http://www.jandr.org/temp/example_slow_registers.gz

Of course, if someone can give me some direction in profiling gnucash, I
will gladly try to track down the offending CPU hog.  Oh, and it is CPU,
I get a big 100% CPU usage spike during the delay, with no HD lights
flashing (so no I/O).

-Jon

PS: on my PIII800 it takes 3-4s to open an empty register window, on the
PII400 at work it is about 10s.  Ugh.

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil