TRANSLATORS howto

Nigel Titley nigel at titley.com
Tue Jun 3 18:10:21 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 14:31, Jon Lapham wrote:
> Here it is Christain (et al), a rough draft of the Translators howto
> document.  Basically, this is a list of the things *I* needed to know to
> do my translations.  It assumes the translator knows nothing about CVS
> or any of the gettext tools.
>
> I merged some of the stuff found in the doc/README.translator.txt file
> as well.  Maybe this could replace the README.translator.txt file?  I dunno.
>
> Comments?  Suggestions?
>
> (specifically, I forgot how to checkout the stable branch from CVS, if
> someone could once again give me those instructions...)
>
> PS: Once we get this document up to speed, I can HTML-ify it for the web
> site if Linas is interested.

Nice document and very helpful. The only comment I have is really a
question to Christian. I submit my translations through the GNU
Translation Project, and it would seem to be sensible to use that
mechanism. At the very least the instructions for using it should form
part of the HOWTO. I don't know whether any of the other translations
come through that route, but I do know that Christian told me to go that
route when I first started doing the en_GB translations.

So Christian, do you want to encourage people to use the GNU Translation
project, or not?

All the best

Nigel