First stab at gnucash-docs

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Fri Jun 13 14:14:06 CDT 2003

Derek Atkins wrote:
> I think it depends on the "external site".  I think it's ok to link to
> gnucash.org.  I dont think we should link to other sites.

Okay, so that means I should remove links to the sourceforge mirror and
the page which explains the various methods of linux software packaging.
  Done.

Hmmm... I wonder if we might not want to include those sites, but rather
than making them clickable links, simply put them in as text.  If people
want to follow the link they would have to cut/paste into mozilla or
something.  Waddaya think?

>>2) Can someone send me the information on how to install GnuCash on a
>>Debian-esque system?  (ie: apt, .deb, etc)
>

> "apt-get install gnucash"

And that will always get the latest stable version?  Wow... easy.  What
other major distributions use apt besides Debian?  Anyone know?

>>3) Besides linux, what other systems do we support?  I'm guessing at
>>least *BSD, so does anyone know how to install GnuCash using the *BSD
>>ports system?
>

> What's your definition of "support"?  If you mean "it's been
> successfully built on..." you can include MacOS-X, Solaris, and IRIX
> to the list.

Yeah, I see the list of platforms on the web page now.  So, the
installation instructions for non-linux UNIces and MacOS-X would be to
compile from source?  I notice that there is a pre-compiled IRIX binary
on gnucash.org... version 1.4.9.  I don't think we want to recommend
that option.  :)

-Jon

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil