"techdocs" idea

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Mon Jun 16 12:54:55 CDT 2003

There have been two requests for me to submit web pages to
www.gnucash.org.  The translators howto and the detailed instructions on
installing gnucash.

This got me to thinking (watch out).

Why not keep a "techdocs" directory in gnucash-docs in which these types
of things are maintained in xml format.  Then, occasionally, we can
press HTML versions for the web site, and text versions to place in the
various locations of the source code (such as docs/).  Building these
things do not need to be a part of the build process, so nothing complex
to setup.  These documents should not (I think) be available in the
gnucash help system, they are there just for the convienience of the
developers.

What do you think?  Stupid idea?

Advantages: 1) centralized location for all tech docs, no duplication of
effort. 2) multiple output formats (.ps, .pdf in the future too!). 3)
easier to work with in terms of internationalization.

Disadvantages: have to write in xml, rather than ascii text.

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil