Irritating

Terry Boldt tboldt at attglobal.net
Sun May 4 22:07:20 CDT 2003

I have now been using gnucash 1.6.8 on RH 8.0 for several months and have two
idiosyncacies that are really irritating. I don't know if the newer gnucash
"fixes" these problems or not. I have been relunctant to upgrade due to
trouble I had in getting 1.6.8 to compile and do not know what libraries will
have to change if I try the newer version.

Anyway, the two things that I find really irritating after some use:

1. in reconciling an account, I open the reconcile dialog and expect the
current date or at least some reasonable date to be the default. What I find
is that the date that the dialog defaults to seems to be choosen totally at
random. sometimes it is anywhere from today's date to a month in the future.
Sometimes just the reverse, up to a month in the past. I recently reconciled
one account and the date posted when the dialog opened was 3 months in the
past. This is irritating because then not only the date must be changed, but
also the balance figure. I have tried to determine whether there is a pattern
to the date choosen and have been unable to discern a pattern. It appears the
date is choosen totally at random. Instead of trying to get really
intelligent in choosing the date, why not just use the current date? If I'm
reconciling an account, I rarely, if ever, reconcile an account for sometime
in the futre or for a date 3 months in the past. 99% of the time it is for
today's balance from the statement I just downloaded from the financial
institution.

2. When creating a new transaction in the register window of an account, the
auto-complete function will complete the "description" field, normally the
first field (after the date field if not for today) that I complete. This is
great, but then the auto-complete function goes even further. As soon as I
change to another field for the new transaction, the auto-complete function
picks a transaction from the past in the register and completes the remaining
fields. Again I have been unable to determine which past transaction is
duplicated. sometimes it is the last transaction for the particular matching
for the "description" field, sometimes it skips back a few transactions for
that "description" and picks a transaction. Sometimes it doesn't complete the
transaction at all. Sometimes it will swap the amounts in the deposits and
withdrawl column (for a checking account for example), i.e., it will take the
amount in the deposit column and put it into the withdrawl column and vice
versa.  I assume that the assumption being that the next transaction is
supposed to "pay-off" the prior transaction. This action again seems to be
random. The action in completing the transaction would be great if all of my
transactions for all transactions for a given "description" field were the
same (e.g., monthly mortgage payments, etc.), but this is not the case. They
are all unique. Invariably my "work" in creating the transaction is doubled,
because I must now change all of the fields automatically created. I have
looked in vain through the preferences dialogs for a way to turn this feature
off (and retain the ability to complete fields based on my input). If the
ability to turn off this feature is there, it is well hidden from my view.

Again, if these "features" have been changed/fixed in the lastest version,
accept my apologiers for raising the issue here.

Another question, does anybody have experience in compiling the latest stable
version under RH 8.0 and which libraries/packages need to be updated? If so,
please update the mailing list so that I can attempt the update.