Progress toward Budget module

Darin Willits darin at willits.ca
Thu Aug 5 15:07:48 EDT 2004

On August 5, 2004 06:34 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
> A few comments..
>
> 1) Your changes to app-utils/gnc-ui-common.h and overrides/gnucash
>    are unwarranted.  Also, you've created a commodity.glade in gnome/glade
>    that conflicts with the commodity.glade in gnome-utils.

Crap.  I remember this.  For some reason my environment was not set up
properly after running ./configure such that the source tree wasn't building.
I was meaning to track down/figure this out further but got caught up in
coding.  It was just easier for me to comment this stuff out.  sorry, my bad.

> 2) You probably shouldn't use xaccXXX for new names (e.g. xaccBudgetDef)

This was an attempt on my part to adhere to the given coding/naming standards
as is discussed in one of the coding guideline docs... can't find it now of
course.  :-)  Maybe this doc should reflect the new preferred naming
conventions if it doesn't already.

> 3) I'm not convinced that gnc_book_get_budgets() (and others of that
>    ilk) is the right naming convention for your functions...

Again modeled after existing code... from Scheduled Transactions I believe.

> 4) config.h should never be included in a header file, only in .c files...
>    This is because config.h is not installed, but the header files are.

Oops.  how did that get in there.

> 5) I'm also unclear that you want to be part of MOD_GUI (e.g.
> gnc-budget-cat.c) 6) I'm wondering if there are other budget objects that
> want to be QOFified in order to "store" the data..

Used to ease debugging as I could just turn on/off messages from my part of
the engine/gui without getting all the rest.  Should have taken that out.  I
will do that and send an update.

> Having said that, it looks good, so I'll try to commit this to CVS
> later today.  I'll make sure not to commit the pieces I mention in #1
> (but you might want to check your source tree.  I'll let you fix the
> rest on your own later.  :)

Excellent!  Once it is in the main tree I will fix some of the above issues
and send another patch so that we are working with a smaller change set.

Cheers,

Darin