gnome2 graphing status

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Fri Aug 13 05:30:35 EDT 2004

Josh Sled schrieb:
> A small update on the status of graphing in the gnome2-branch...

cool -- great to hear someone's working on that...

> So, I've been looking into the gnome-office-graphing [GOG] stuff, and
> noticed that it doesn't have a feature of guppi we were using, which is
> the ability to bind the graphical region associated with a data-series
> element to an action ... in the case of gnucash ... with the appropriate
> register being opened in response to a bar-section or pie-wedge being
> clicked on.
>
> Warlord and I had breifly talked about "just porting guppi to gtk2", but
> I'm not sure how feasible that is in the long term.

Porting guppi is a no-no. It was considered several times. Each time the
idea was dropped, and rightly so -- no-one except Jon Trowbridge would
be able to do that, and he left the project several years ago.

I'd say we just have to bite the bullet and admit that we have to drop
the interactivity feature. Just to have "something" so that
gnucash-gnome2 eventually got the graphing features up and running.
Maybe someday someone might still reintroduce them, but for now I would
definitely prefer to have the graphs and gnucash-gnome2 at all, compared
to having additional large gnome2 delays...

Christian