libxml dependency status

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sat Dec 4 17:26:47 EST 2004

What's the minimum libxml version for the g2 branch?

I ask because the schema validation that I want for QSF appears to require
libxml2 and CVS HEAD depends on libxml 1.8.3, current GnuCash release 1.8.9-3
requires libxml1 (>= 1:1.8.14-3).

backend/file already has config to use libxml2 if available.

"Libxml2 is known to be very portable, the library should build and work
without serious troubles on a variety of systems (Linux, Unix, Windows,
CygWin, MacOS, MacOS X, RISC Os, OS/2, VMS, QNX, MVS, ...)"
http://www.xmlsoft.org/

Is there a problem with making QSF and therefore QOF and GnuCash libxml2
dependent?
http://www.xmlsoft.org/upgrade.html

Is QSF (which I'm hoping to have ready about the end of Jan 05) likely to
coincide with g2 or would going to libxml2 before g2 is ready cause problems
elsewhere?

My current Debian unstable libxml2 is 2.6.11-5, anything >= 2.5.2 should
support the schemas. libxml2 2.5.2 itself was released Wed, 5 Feb 2003.

Fedora Core 1 updates are available to at least libxml2 2.6.6
Mandrake 9.2 originally used libxml2-2.5.11.
(Mandrake 10 uses libxml2-2.6.6-1)

Unfortunately, this rules out current Debian stable - although that's not a
problem for GnuCash (stable is still running GnuCash 1.6.6-1) - but I was
testing QOF on Debian stable.
:-(

--

Neil Williams