The GnuCash core

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 6 14:42:53 EST 2004

Hi,

Paul Dunbar <paul.dunbar at gmail.com> writes:

> I am in the beginning stages of developing a web-based Personal
> Finance Manager.  I am currently considering the GnuCash core for
> finance calculations and transaction management.  Ideally I would like
> to be able to have my data stored in a postgres server that can be
> shared between gnc and my application.  I decided the first place I
> want to go when considering this would be the GnuCash development
> team.  I have looked at many of the docs on the core and am hopeful,
> but my learning curve will be high.
>
> Questions? Comments? Insults?

I'd ask you a primary question: why "web-based"?  If you're going for
a more enterprise-wide system then web-based may be reasonable, but
for personal use I really don't see the average user being able to
install, conifigure, _AND SECURE_ a web server in order to run a
"personal finance manager".

Having said that (see, I'm trying not to be insulting ;) you could
write another interface around the gnucash API.  You'd in effect need
to re-implement all the UI pieces of gnucash, but you could do it.  I
don't know how hard it would be, nor how much time it would take, or
even what the integration would look like.  But anything is possible,
it's just a SMoP (Simple Matter of Programming).

:)